5 Tips for a Healthy Smile on Valentine’s Day
If you or your loved ones plan to indulge in the sweets this year on Valentine’s Day, remember to take the correct preventative measures in keeping your mouth and teeth safe, healthy, and sparkling clean. At Kubisch & Ferris Orthodontics in Goleta, CA, Dr. Raymond Kubisch and Dr. Andrew Ferris have five tips for you to make sure you have a happy and healthy smile this Valentine’s Day.
Many treats can cause destruction for those who have braces, clear aligners, or other orthodontic appliances. Certain treats can be the cause towards potential damage that can delay orthodontic treatment. Learn about what treats you can eat, what you should avoid to protect your teeth and gums, and what you can do to obtain the best oral health.
5 Tips for a Healthy Smile this Valentine’s Day:
- Avoid those hard, sticky, or chewy candies: You’ll find that these candies will stick to your mouth, making it more difficult for you to fully clean your teeth properly.
- If you are going to eat candy, stick to the melt-in-your-mouth chocolates: These tasty treats are just as enjoyable as any, and they are safer towards your overall oral health.
- Clean your teeth after every meal: If it isn’t possible to brush your teeth right away, rinse your mouth with a glass of water to rid your mouth of any leftover food and sugar. However, it is still extremely important to find time to brush your teeth later to get rid of the rest of the food and sugar.
- Remember to keep a healthy routine to maintain a clean looking mouth: Brush your teeth twice a day and floss daily in order to keep the development of your teeth and mouth bright and strong.
- Stay away from sugary drinks, such as soda: Drinks that contain sugar tend to contribute to the discoloration of your teeth and destroy tooth enamel and its protective outer layer. Some examples of healthier drinks are water, milk, and tea which all can be enjoyed instead of soda.
If you are new to the game of braces and orthodontics, you may be tempted by the candies that were once so easy for you to eat. However, on this Valentine’s Day, you have to be weary of what can do more harm than good to your mouth. Eating hard, chewy, and sticky candies such as Jolly Ranchers, lollipops, gum drops, popcorn, and caramel may not be as simple as it used to be. Consumption of these goods are not good for your dental care, and can be very difficult to clean off of teeth.
Kubisch & Ferris Orthodontics wants to make sure your Valentine’s Day is filled with happiness and love and nothing should get in the way of this, especially your teeth. By following these five simple tips you should have a healthy and happy smile to brighten up your day. For more information or to schedule an appointment with Kubisch & Ferris Orthodontics in Goleta, CA, contact our office by visiting or calling 805.964.4786 today.